Our Intent. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of users to our website and we will only use the information we collect about you lawfully.
Changes to Data Protection Legislation. The introduction of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018), has introduced significant and enhanced rights for Data Subjects, including users of these services. This Privacy Notice seeks to outline these rights and also the way personal data that is processed via services on this site, so that Data Subjects have transparency.
Data Subject’s Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice should be read by Data Subjects, i.e. “you,” or any identifiable person using the EdTech Demonstrator services.
Joint Data Controller. The Ed Tech Demonstrator Programme is is being conducted by United Learning (joint controller with the Department of Education).
Website Controller. The controller for this website is United Learning.
Data Protection Officer (DPO). United Learning have appointed a DPO who can be reached at DataProtection@unitedlearning.org.uk. The United Learning DPO fulfils a number of roles, one of which is to be the primary and independent point of contact for Data Subjects, namely you. The preferred mechanism for Data Subjects to raise concerns regarding the processing of their personal data by United Learning staff is to email or send a letter to our contact details above, at which point the enquiry will be forwarded to the DPO. Alternatively write to:
- Data Protection Enquiries, United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough. PE3 6SB
Across all Ed Tech Programme processes and services, we will seek to ensure all personal data is accurate and up to date. The personal data which we hold will be held securely and in accordance with our internal data protection and security policies.
Category of Recipients of Personal Data. United Learning acts as a Data Processor under the instruction of the Data Controllers, schools (which includes nurseries and colleges for the purposes of this Privacy Notice) and local authorities, to enable them to deliver education services. Data is shared with them in accordance with their requirements.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside the UK or EEA (European Economic Area). No personal data is transferred outside the UK. If this is required, appropriate measures will be put in place to support international transfers.
Sensitive Personal Data. We will never collect sensitive personal data about you without your explicit consent or under the relevant lawful purpose. We will provide a clear explanation why it is required in the related Privacy Notice.
Sale or Passing of Personal Data to Third Parties. We will not sell or pass your personal data to any company. However, to support Safeguarding or Law Enforcement investigation United Learning may be required to pass personal data outside normal processes, for very specific and limited purposes.
Retention of Personal Data by this Website. We will retain any data collected on this website only for the period of the session or on acceptance of cookies to enable you to revisit the site again more easily. For the Personalisation service, your data will be retained for as long as you, or your school, consumes United Learning services or until you withdraw your consent.
Retention of Personal Data by United Learning. A master retention policy for personal data processed by United Learning is being constantly developed. This details the retention of personal data collected from you for different purposes.
Data Subject’s Rights. Under data protection legislation you have a number of Rights which we have outlined below:
- Right of Access. You are entitled to access your personal data so that you are aware of and can verify the lawfulness of the processing. This is best achieved through submitting a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Data Controller. In summary, Data Subjects (you) have the right to obtain:
- Confirmation that your data is being processed;
- Access to your personal data (a copy); and
- Other supplementary information, which corresponds to the information in this Privacy Notice.
Please note that requesting a specific element of information rather than all data will make the process easier and faster.
- Fees and Timings. This information will be provided without charge; without delay and within one month. If an extension is required you will be informed of this by the Data Controller. If requests are considered manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because they are repetitive, Data Controllers may choose to:
- Charge a reasonable fee taking into account the administrative costs of providing the information; or
- Refuse to respond.
- The reasons for this will be formally notified to you and your rights to appeal to the appropriate Supervisory Authority, i.e. UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk will be highlighted.
- Identity Verification. To protect your personal data, United Learning will seek to verify your identity before releasing any information, which will normally be in electronic format.
- Right of Rectification. You are entitled to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. If any data held about you is inaccurate or incomplete United Learning will respond within one month of your request. In the unlikely event that United Learning does not act on the request for rectification, you will be informed of your rights to complain or seek judicial remedy.
- Right of Erasure. You may request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing. The Right to Erasure does not provide an absolute ‘right to be forgotten.’ However, you do have a right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing in specific circumstances:
- Where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed;
- When you withdraw consent (and this is the basis of processing);
- When you object to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for continuing the processing;
- The personal data was unlawfully processed;
- The personal data has to be erased in order to comply with a legal obligation; and
- The personal data is processed in relation to the offer of information society services to a child. However, you should note United Learning provides educational services to Data Controllers which may not be considered information society services, i.e. social media.
- Right to Restrict Processing. When processing is restricted, United Learning are permitted to store the personal data, but not further process it. In this event exactly what is held and why will be explained to you by the Data Controller.
- Right to Data Portability. You may request to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. This allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without hindrance to usability. The Right to Data Portability only applies:
- To personal data you have provided to United Learning;
- Where the processing is based on your consent or for the performance of a contract; and
- When processing is carried out by automated means.
- In these circumstances United Learning will provide a copy of your data to the Data Controller in CSV format free of charge, without undue delay and within one month. If there is a delay to this, you will be informed by the Data Controller.
- Right to Object. You have the Right to Object to:
- Processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling);
- Direct marketing (including profiling); and o Processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.
- Automated Decision Making and Profiling. United Learning do not employ any automated decision-making or conduct profiling of Data Subjects.
This section outlines the type of cookies we apply to our website and the services we offer. By using the website, you agree your personal information will be handled as described in this Privacy Notice. The cookies we may use on our website are described as below:
|Used for Google Analytics to help improve the user experience on this site. No personally identifiable information is stored.
|Functional session cookies used by the website to control certain visual aspects.
||Functional cookie used by the website
Third Party Website Links. Our website may contain links to other third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Privacy Notice, but, instead, is governed by the privacy notices of those third-party websites, and United Learning is not responsible for the information practices of such third-party websites.