Context and EdTech journey
SGHS is an 11-18 Secondary School in North Yorkshire. It is part of the Northern Star Academies Trust.
Our Trust consists of two secondary schools and six primary schools in Harrogate, Skipton and Keighley. Over ten years ago we created an EdTech vision which ensured every one of our learners has access to a 1:1 device. Amongst many benefits this allows staff maximum opportunity to encourage greater independence and creativity in how students learn, enhances collaborative work and improves the quality of our formative assessment and knowledge recall strategies. As technology has developed our strategy continuously evolves to take advantage of new opportunities.
The EdTech Demonstrator programme
SGHS has been involved with the EdTech Demo Programme from the very beginning. We supported both Primary and Secondary Schools across Yorkshire, Lancashire and the North-East to ensure they were able to support their students during school closures. We helped on many issues including:
- Evaluating learning platforms and choosing the right one to suit individual needs;
- Safeguarding students effectively when using technology;
- Effective pedagogical approaches to using EdTech in the classroom with different age groups;
- Procuring IT equipment and planning for 1:1 device schemes in schools;
- Using EdTech effectively to enhance formative feedback;
- Devising a whole school EdTech strategy.